The Avenue Market, formerly known as the Lafayette Market, opened it’s doors in December 1871. On May 4, 1953 the market burned to the ground. Many of the merchants continued doing business in a make-shift shed until a new market was built. The new brick building opened across the street from the old location on November 22, 1957. The Lafayette Market closed it’s doors in 1994 to undergo restructuring and renovation. The market underwent extensive renovation and reopened as the Avenue Market in 1996. The Avenue Market is 31,000 s.f.